Saints Take Down Canucks 7-1

By Terry Martin

The Saints looked to break back into the win column in this afternoon’s game against the Canucks after dropping 2 of their last 3 games. Spruce Grove previously visited Calgary at the end of November where the Saints picked up the 3-2 victory. The Canucks currently sit 7th in the South division with 10 wins and 25 points. Calgary is also coming off a 6-1 win against the Crusaders last night as they wrap up their 3-game road trip today.

The Saints would once again dominate puck possession for the 2nd game in a row, cycling the puck in the offensive zone for about 10 minutes throughout the period. Spruce Grove would not score on the Canucks goaltender, Mills, but would keep up the pressure to the end of the frame. Zac Onyskiw would also make some great saves in the opening frame, stopping a shorthanded breakaway earlier in the period. The Saints would double up on the Canucks in shots, 10-5 after 20 minutes of play.

Ewan McPherson would be the one to open the scoring just a couple minutes into the middle frame, finding the puck on the doorstep and burying the rebound. Logan Acheson would then score on a power play opportunity, following up his own rebound to put the Saints up 2-0. Pfoh, would then score five-hole after receiving a great pass from Pisarczyk across the ice. Rochford would score just a minute later after a great individual effort to put the team up 4-0. Jayden Davis would then be left alone in the slot and would bury the puck for his 19th goal of the season. The Saints would lead 5-0 and, again, double up the Canucks in shots as they lead 28-14.

Spruce Grove continued right where they left off in the pervious period, keeping the puck in the Canucks zone. Coster Dunn would get the ball rolling again with about 10 minutes remaining in the game, shooting the puck blocker side to put the Saints up 6-0. Dylan Price would get the lone goal for the Canucks with 6:24 remaining in the game, scoring from the top of the slot. Coster Dunn would then go end to end and dangle around the Canucks goaltender to score his second goal of the game. The Saints would hold onto the 7-1 lead and outshot the Canucks 44-19 after 3 periods as they break back into the win column.

The Saints are back in action at the Grant Fuhr Arena on Friday as they take on the Grande Prairie Storm for the 3rd time this season.