It is amazing what a team can accomplish, when no one cares who gets the credit. What started with a roster full of rookie faces, ended with the same group of players, much wiser and much improved. This is a team that played with passion and played for each other, not with each other, and with that came many accomplishments for our Saints:
– Reached the 100 point plateau once again at the end of the regular season
with 101 points.
– Saw the team score 235 goals during the season, while only giving up 135 for a plus 100 differential!
– The players captured the AJHL championship for the 4 time in 6 years!
– 5 Saints finished in the Top 40 players in scoring this season, while 3 had over 50 points and 13 had 25 points or more!
– The players made new friends while making over 100 player appearance in the Spruce Grove and surrounding community, including Ronald McDonald House, West Central Special Olympics and SGMHA teams!
– The season saw the Saints set a team record since returning to Spruce Grove 11 years ago, with 18 consecutive wins and 29 wins in 30 games!
Many players were acknowledged by the AJHL in the the annual awards handed out by the league.
Coach of the Year – Jason McKee (second consecutive award)
Rookie of the Year – Brandon Biro (Also a finalist for Rookie of the Year in the CJHL)
Top Team Goaltenders – Brett Zarowny & Matt Murray
Most Dedicated Player – Parker MacKay
Playoff MVP – Parker MacKay
The most important thing to note from this season though, is that the Saints at this time will be sending another 5 players off to various universities with scholarships:
Tyler Busch – Ohio State University (2016-17 season)
Jordan Thomas – University of Alaska – Anchorage
Parker MacKay – University of Minnesota – Duluth
Jarid Hauptman – Mount Royal University
Lukas Biensch – University of Alberta – Augustana
Our players gave us plenty to be proud of this season, and for that we can be thankful. To our graduating players who played and practiced with passion, played through injury and occasionally bled for each other, words can not express our gratitude. To Parker MacKay, Jarid Hauptman, Carson Samoridny, Tristan Sieben, Travis McEvoy and Lukas Biensch, you embody what it means to be a Saint and we wish you all the best wherever your futures take you.
Nothing is possible though without the support that our organization receives. To our fantastic sponsors whose generosity is what powers our program, to the Saints Nation fanbase who share their passion game in and game out for our team, to our billets that open up their homes and their hearts to our players and watch our players grow both on and off the ice, we the Saints organization THANK YOU!
Here with the Saints we have a saying: Once a Saint always a Saint. That doesn't just apply to our players, but to everyone involved with our club. From fans to sponsors You are all part our Saints Family!
Our players gave us plenty to cheer about this year, and more to look forward to next season, as we look to repeat as AJHL champions!