Saints Fall 4-3 In Game 2, Series Tied 1-1

By: Terry Martin

Photo: Em Duncan  

The Saints looked to keep the train rolling after exploding for 5 goals in the 2nd period last night which led to the Bandits losing their first game in this post season. Brooks has also not dropped consecutive games, dating back to February of 2020. Spruce Grove will need another strong performance from Tristan Martin along with the offence to keep firing to go up 2 games to 0.

The Saints and Bandits would trade power play chances and both goalies would have to make some great saves throughout the first 10 minutes of the game to keep the game tied 0-0. Liam Watkins would eventually open the scoring for the Saints with 5 minutes to go in the frame, firing the puck from below the dot and the puck would somehow find its way through the crowd. The Saints would lead 1-0 but would trail 6-13 in shots after 20 minutes of play.

The Bandits would open the scoring early, just 30 seconds in the 2nd period, as Ryan McAllister would score from the blueline. The Saints would get the better of the opportunities in the later half of the frame, finding themselves on 2 power plays in a row and almost finding the back of the net but the game would remain tied. Spruce Grove would now lead 23-18 in shots after 2 periods of play.

Breck McKinley would be the one to break the tie halfway through the final period as he scores off of Ethan Barwick’s pads for his 1st of the playoffs to put the Saints up 2-1. Not long after, Ryan McAllister would find the puck after a weird bounce off the wall to tie the game back up. Logan Acheson would quickly put the Saints back in the lead as he would find the back of the net to give them a 3-2 lead with 8 minutes remaining in the game. Ryan McAllister would then score again for the Bandits to tie the game 3-3 with 6 minutes to go as both teams go back and forth. The game would see each team push for the game winning goal but no one would be able to solve either goaltender and for the first time in this series we would see overtime. The Saints would just edge out the Bandits in shots 30-29 after 60 minutes of play.

The Saints and Bandits would battle back and forth through the first few minutes of overtime. Ultimately, Ryan McAllister would be the one to end the game as he would fire the puck top shelf from the dot to tie the series 1-1 just a few minutes into the frame.

The series now shifts back to Spruce Grove as we will play game 3 and 4 back at the Grant Fuhr Arena on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Get your tickets HERE!