When the 2021 NCAA Frozen Four Tournament opens today in Pittsburgh, eight AJHL alumni will be competing for a National Championship.
The Alberta Junior Hockey League continues to be a premier developmental League in Canada for student-athletes striving to capitalize on their athletic and academic abilities. Each season, over 300 AJHL Alumni compete on College and University teams across North America.
St Cloud State Huskies
– Zachary Okabe (F) Grande Prairie Storm
– Jarred Cockrell (F) Brooks Bandits
– Kyler Kupka (F) Camrose Kodiaks
Minnesota State Mavericks
– Chris Van Os-Shaw (F) Spruce Grove Saints
– Oliver Chau (F) Brooks Bandits
– Matt Murray (G) Spruce Grove Saints
– Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs
– Tanner Laderoute (F) Okotoks Oilers
– Quinn Olson (F) Okotoks Oilers
After an unpredictable weekend of Regionals from March 26th-28th, the Frozen Four matchups were finally set with all top seeds being eliminated and three of the four teams coming from Minnesota schools.
The championship playoff format involved four predetermined regional sites with four teams assigned to each site. The regional winners each advanced to the Frozen Four. The entire championship uses a single-elimination format.
The semifinal games will be played on Thursday, April 8 in Pittsburgh at PPG Paints Arena. Opening day will feature a national championship rematch from the last Frozen Four in 2019 as UMass takes on Minnesota Duluth.
The National Championship game will include the winners of today’s semi-finals in an evening game on April 10th.